Deciding to build a custom home can bring on several emotions- excitement, expectation, and maybe a little worry, too. When making a selection on a potential builder, make sure you ask the right questions! At Starr Homes, we love to meet with potential clients and answer any questions you might have in order to make the process as comfortable as possible. Building a house is a lot like riding a roller coaster; there will be thrills, ups, and downs but a beautiful home awaits you at the end! Here are a few things you should talk to your builder about before designing your home...
- How many years have you been in business? How many homes have you built?
- Are you licensed (where required) and insured?
- How do you compare yourself to other builders? What are the most important benefits of the homes you build?
- What type of warranty do you offer?
- Can you give me references from prior home buyers? Do you build model homes I can tour? If not, can you help me make an appointment to see a home you built for another customer?
- What are the major energy-saving features of homes you build?
- Do you build only from home plans you supply? Or can I provide my own set of plans?
- What standard features do your homes include? What options and upgrades
can I select?
- Who will oversee the construction of my home? Who should I contact with any questions I may have?
- How and when can I make changes or upgrades before and during construction?
- How and when will the final price for my home be determined?
- How often (and when) will I have access to the home during the building process?
- How long will my home take to complete?
- Does the community have a homeowners association (HOA) and/or an Architectural Review Committee? If so, may I get a copy of their rules and the amount of any fees?
- What's your process for inspection at key points of construction, at final walk-through, and to address any matters that need to be corrected or finalized?